In 1959 Hughes met Christoforos Savva (who had studied under André Lhote in Paris), when they were both exhibiting at The Ledra Hotel (there were no galleries at the time).
The following year, in the spring of 1960, he and Savva opened the island’s first gallery and cultural centre of its kind, the Apophasis, with the aim of launching contemporary art in Cyprus. This was housed in Sophocleous Street, where Savva lived, and exhibitions where held in the outside courtyard.
The same summer, when Cyprus gained independence, the gallery moved to Apollo Street, were Hughes and Savva exhibited their work and the work of other artists. Lectures and discussions were held with speakers like the great Russian film director, Sergei Bonderchuck.
While with Savva at Apophasis, Hughes produced work influenced by the European avant-garde. The independence of Cyprus (1960) could not be a better time for creativity.
This work is from this great period of modern Cypriot art.
This work is from the period when Hughes worked closely with Savva.