George Vakalo was born in Constantinople where he attended his first art lessons. Between 1922 and 1928 he continued his studies in Paris at the École des Arts Décoratifs, at the Académie Grand Chaumière and the Académie Julian.
He also studied stage design with C. Dullin and later with L. Medgyes. Between 1930 and 1940, he worked as a stage designer for the avant-garde Atelier theatre of C. Dullin and at the Globe Theatre, London.
While abroad Vakalo collaborated with significant theatrical personalities such as Cocteau, Barrault, Saint Denis and Itkin, and in Greece with Koun, Veakis and Kotopouli.
Whilst still in Paris he was awarded first prize at the Exposition Carmine.
In 1957, together with Panayiotis Tetsis, F. Frantjiskaki and his wife Eleni Vakalo he established the first design School in Greece.
Vakalo held a number of solo exhibitions in Athens and participated in a number of prestigious group exhibitions such as the 1967 Alexandria Biennale.
His work is found in many public and private collections, notably that of: The Museum of Modern Art, New York; The National Gallery, Athens; The Athens Municipal Gallery and The National Bank of Greece.