Lefteris Economou was born in Frenaros village of Famagusta in 1930.
He graduated from the Famagusta Gymnasium in 1948. From 1949 to 1950 he studied Fine Arts at St. Martin’s School of Art in London, at Sir John Cass College from 1950 to 1954 and then he continued from 1954 to 1955 at Goldsmith’s School of Art of London University under Paul Drury (painting), John Bowles (engraving) and B. Coppnall (sculpture). In 1953 he received the N.D.D. with speciality on painting. In 1955 he returned to Cyprus where he worked as a teacher of art and technical drawing in secondary schools.
He has been awarded a number of prizes and distinctions: Teukros Anthias and Theodosis Pieridis award 2000, The Republic of Cyprus awards for his artistic contribution 2002 and The Leonardo Da Vinci award, 2006.
His work has been published in various important publications worldwide.
The artist paints the Cypriot landscape and the daily lives of Cypriot people with passion and virtuosity.
Lefteris Economou has shown his work in several one-man exhibitions: in 1955 at Parson’s Gallery in London; in 1960 at Trust Club in Nicosia; in 1962 at Cosmos Gallery in Famagusta and at Kykkos Pancyprian Gymnasium in Nicosia, in 1964 at the Officer’s Club in Dekelia, in 1965 at Officer’s Club in Episkopi, at the “Pnevmatiki Stegi” in Nicosia and at the Parent’s Association of Morphou in Morphou, in 1967 at Hilton Gallery in Nicosia, in 1968 at Upper Grosvenor Gallery in London and at the British Council in Nicosia, in 1969 at Ledra Palace Hotel in Nicosia, in 1971 at Lyceum of Greek Girls in Famagusta, in 1973 at Argo Gallery in Nicosia, in 1974 at Goethe Institute in Thessaloniki, in 1976 at Zygos Gallery in Limassol, in 19800 at Zygos Gallery in Nicosia, in 1983 at Rembrandt Gallery in Nicosia, in 1984 at Bank of Cyprus in Nicosia, in 1986 at Morphi Gallery in Limassol, in 1987 at Gloria Gallery in Nicosia, in 1987 at Barclays Bank in Larnaca, in 1990 at the Municipal Hall in Paralimni, in 1991 at Peter’s Gallery in Limassol, in 1992 at Opus 39 Gallery in Nicosia, in 1994 at Apocalypse Gallery in Nicosia, in 1995 at Amorgos Gallery in Aglantzia and at Opus 39 Gallery.
He participated in Panhellenic and international exhibitions in America, India, Egypt and several European counties. In 1974 he received the diplôme d’Honneur at the Salon International de Mai in Paris and in 1976 he participated in the international exhibition Inter-Grafik in East Berlin.
His work can be found in public and private collections in Cyprus, Greece, United Kingdom, America, Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan and elsewhere. Three of his works of large dimensions adorn the 1st Kykkos Lyceum, Strovolos Lyceum and the Makarios Hospital in Nicosia.
Bibliography: Lydakis, “Vocabulary”, 1976; Christos Savvides-Trichas, “Cypriot Artists”, Chr. Andreou publication, Nicosia 1982-83; Chrysanthos Christou, “Short History of Modern and Contemporary Cypriot Art”, Nicosia 1983; Eleni Papademetriou, “State Gallery of Contemporary Cypriot Art”, Ministry of Education and Culture, Cultural Services, Nicosia 2002.