Cypriot, 1881- 1953
Andreas Thymopoulos was born in Prasteio of Famagusta in 1881 and died in Nicosia in 1953.
He studied on a scholarship from the Archbishopric of Cyprus at the Higher School of Fine Arts in Athens, under the sculptor Georgios Bonanos. During the years of his studies, each year he was receiving the first prizes, the Averophio and Chrysovergio. He graduated in 1906 and he returned to Cyprus.
In 1907 he was appointed as a drawing and calligraphy teacher at the Pancyprian Gymnasium until 1913. He also taught sculpture and painting in the pedagogical section. From 1913 until 1920 he worked as a freelance artist, while his reputation travels outside Cyprus.
In 1920 Andreas Thymopoulos went to Smyrna to teach art at the Evangelical School of Smyrna, after an invitation of the school. He stayed in Smyrna until 1922 and then he returned to Cyprus. Since 1936 he acted as a teacher at Pancyprian Gymnasium and at the same time he kept a sculpture studio.
His only one-man exhibition was organized at the Emporiki Club in Nicosia after the end of his studies. He participated at the Agricultural Exhibition in 1910, where he won the Silver Medal of the Municipality of Nafplion and the Cypriot Exhibition of Limassol; in 1911 at the Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition of Limassol he won the Silver Medal; at the 4th Annual Artistic Exhibition organized at the Cyprus School of Music in 1934; and between 1920 and 1922 he was honoured with the Gold and Silver Medal of the Panionian Club of Smyrna.
Bibliography: Aristides L. Koudounaris, Biographical Lexicon of Cypriots 1800-1920, Nicosia 1991; Eleni Nikita, The Conjectural Movement in Cyprus from the beginning of our century until the Independence, Cultural Services Ministry of Education and Culture, Nicosia 1997; Eleni Nikita, Cypriot Artists, First Generation, Cultural Centre of Popular Bank, Nicosia 2002; Eleni Papademetriou, State Gallery of Contemporary Cypriot Art, Ministry of Education and Culture, Cultural Services, Nicosia 1998.